Man, was the 13 going on 30 capsule wardrobe a definite challenge! But I’m so pleased I was able to pull it off. It definitely shows that with a bit of creativity you can have a minimalist wardrobe, and that you don’t need to have a wardrobe bursting at the seams to create outfits that fit your life.
What did I take away from this style challenge?
- With the right choice of items, you can have a very flexible capsule wardrobe that you can create numerous for different occasions.
- Having less items to browse through means less time pondering over what to wear (and potentially more time to sleep in the morning! Yes!).
- Layers are your best friend, so it’s important to choose items in your capsule wardrobe that can multi-task (for example, the denim shirt could be a jacket).
- Accessories are definitely key – I tried to stick to certain accessories throughout the 30 outfits to make it easier to create each outfit, but if you love accessories use them to your advantage to really jazz up your outfits.
What would I do differently?
- For me, 13 items was probably not enough – I would’ve probably liked another 2 items of either the top or bottom – so a 15 going on 30 challenge. Towards the end I found I was struggling to try and create an outfit I hadn’t done before, and it would’ve been easier had I included 2 more types of clothes.
- I’d reconsider the outerwear I chose – the sleeveless jacket was brilliant, but I hardly used the khaki jacket, and often I just included it in the outfit quite simply because I hadn’t included it for a while. A blazer in a light neutral colour may have been more versatile.
I enjoyed this challenge so much that I’ll do it again, this time with my own clothes, starting next year. I’m excited to share this with you all and would love to hear your comments throughout the process!
If you want to check back on the outfits I created for the 13 going on 30 capsule wardrobe challenge, click on the “Capsule Wardrobe” category to the right of this page. You can also check out my Polyore page for a visual summary of the outfits.
Thanks so much for reading and commenting throughout my first capsule wardrobe challenge!
EDIT: I’ve added links below so you can click on each of the outfits individually!