Archive - October 2015
In keeping with my growing #normcore collection (Birkenstocks, all white sneakers), I now inadvertently own a pair of mom jeans. I had bought them online (which is always fraught with danger, given how painful it already is for me to shop for jeans in bricks and mortar stores) and didn’t realise how long and high the rise of these jeans were. I’m talking about beyond my belly button high rise. Granted they actually aren’t meant to be mom jeans, but low-slung tapered jeans, but on my 5’0″ body low slung jeans make my legs look about 30cm long so I decided they should be worn as high rise jeans. And of course, because I had bought them on sale, they were non-returnable.
Yes, I am a mom, but I never was a fan of these mom jeans. They just look so unflattering, even more so if you’re as short as me. So how do I wear these without losing shape or height?
1. Always tuck your shirt in. This helps make the jeans look a bit more polished and lengthens the legs.
2. Mom jeans are typically worn with cuffed hems, but this would make my legs look even shorter than they already are. I probably wouldn’t cuff them, or if I had to, just do one turn up.
3. Wear nude heels. Obviously not an everyday option, but it’s nice to dream.
4. Wear nude sandals. These look more accessible, but note that there is still a bit of a heel.
5. Pair them with sneakers so they don’t look so daggy.
6. Wear with a white button up shirt, and leave some of the top buttons undone. White is obviously dangerous when you have an infant who is just figuring out solids, so I’d probably go with a printed button up which can easily conceal food stains.
7. Be Man Repeller because anything looks great on her. Or wear with a casual blazer and a nice pair of oxfords (note the heel again).
I’m hoping that by wearing these jeans high on the waist, these would actually help my legs look longer than they actually are. Any other ideas on how to wear the mom jeans trend?
All images via Pinterest
via Instagram: @kirstyashestyle
I just participated in my first #stylechallenge on Instagram with @mumscloset_au and @kirstyashestyle. The Basics Check-In Challenge involves assessing your wardrobe, looking for the essential basics for spring/summer (tee, shoes, dress, swimwear, handbag, and accessories) getting rid of anything that hasn’t been worn or used for a long time/is unrepairable/doesn’t fit anymore, and if need be, replacing it with a current trend such as 70’s boho or print. It was nice to actually consciously think of what I would wear to fulfill every day of the challenge, rather than looking in my wardrobe and selecting the most comfortable option as my outfit for the day.
Check out my Instagram @5.foot.short to see how I completed the challenge!