In my last post I wrote about my typical momiform and what I usually reach for to put together an easy outfit when life as a mum gets crazy. Today’s post is about my work uniform – my work outfit staples that I reach for to create office-appropriate outfits for those mornings when I haven’t had much sleep the night before (which is most nights).
I’ve mentioned before that my current workplace isn’t overly corporate and that suits aren’t compulsory. However, having worked in a corporate environment for years before I got pregnant with my first child has left me with a habit of wearing blazers, tailored pants and button up shirts, even if they’re not required.
When Hayley from The French Experiment asked about work capsules on Instagram, I thought I’d share my work outfit on the #tfewarkdrobe hashtag as well as here. If you have a look at my essentials capsule this will give you a pretty good idea of what I will typically wear to work – more specifically, my staple items from that capsule are:
- Blazer – absolutely essential for sprucing up any work outfit. Not do I wear it with the usual suspects (ie the black pants or black skirt with the striped tee or white blouse from the essentials capsule), I’ll also wear it with my skinny jeans and a work-appropriate blouse for casual Fridays.
- Black pants – I’m more of a trousers girl (the tomboy from my youth stills lurks in there) and these Marcs pants have been a revelation. The perfect length, the perfect fit.
- Tote bag – my Louis Vuitton Neverfull is my bag of choice for carrying around all the papers and books I need to bring for work. It goes with everything and is a classic, timeless piece.
How I vary this work uniform:
- As mentioned above, I’ll wear the blazer with a casual yet office friendly ensemble for Fridays (although in reality every day can be casual Friday where I currently work).
- Sometimes I ditch the blazer and go with a different topper with the black pants – I can’t wait for winter to officially start as I have some fabulous jackets I’d love to get back into!
- A variety of blouses to mix up the black blazer and pants outfit – stripes are my go-to, but I am also partial to the spot print on this Gap blouse.
- I change up the shoes with the blazer-and-pants combo. The constant features of my footwear? They’re always flat and they’re always comfortable (especially for hours of standing).
- Accessories are key and I’ll add simple, minimalist pieces most days; or I’ll go full on with the arm party and rings for more casual work outfits. I don’t have any affinity with any particular metal and do like mixing them up for interest.
What are your go to pieces for work? How do you mix them up in a capsule wardrobe?
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and/or Facebook for my daily style outfits as part of my #capsulewardrobechallenge! You can also follow me on Pinterest, add me on Bloglovin’ or subscribe to my weekly newsletter.