I recently realised I hadn’t done a refashion for quite some time. Here’s a shirt-to-tie front top DIY that doesn’t even need sewing.
These tops by Scanlan Theodore.
- A shirt dress or shift dress. Ideally the dress should be knee length or longer. For a no-sew refashion go with a jersey or similar knit fabric. Try to go one size up or more so you have more fabric to play with.
- Fabric scissors
- Optional thread and needle or sewing machine if you want/need to sew.
I thrifted this Ben Sherman dress from Salvos for $1.60 (yep, really broke the bank with this refashion).
How to do it:
1. Determine how short you’d like the top to be and cut the back part to the desired length.
I actually decided to turn the top back to front as I wanted a crew neck for this refashion, so I cut off the tags. The stripes help me cut straight across.
2. Turn the dress over so that you’re now working on the front part of the dress.
Cut a straight-ish line from the bottom of the dress up to the point where you cut the back of the dress. You can cut straight in the middle or slightly to the side, which is what I did.
3. Cut from the bottom of one side of the cut to its corresponding side, again up to the point where you cut the back. Repeat for the other side. You could either cut a straight line or do a slight curve as below:
4. Aaaaaand… that’s it. Unless you want to sew the raw edges. And then that’s it.
You could wear this top several ways.
Tails hanging down…
Tails tied up…
… or tails wrapped around and tied at the back. This works if you have enough fabric, which I didn’t, and you can see how tiny the knot is at the back. If you want to do this option, I suggest finding a dress that’s longer than knee length so the tails can be longer.
Of course, I could always wear the V-neck to the front and have the tails tied up at the back. This was where I realised I may have been a little carefree with where I cut the back part of the dress – some crunches or high waisted bottoms are in order if wearing it this way.
With all the booty shots I’ve taken lately I think some squats are also in order.
Let me know what you think of this super quick refashion by commenting below!